Several of my machines have now been upgraded to Windows 10 and I think on each one of them I have had some sort of issue to resolve.
My “main” PC ended up having more serious hardware issues, in that my primary hard drive died and was replaced with a fresh install of Windows 8.1. As soon as I got the machine back home I immediately upgraded it to Windows 10.
After that, one of the first things I did was install the Adobe Master Suite CS6 that I had running previously on Windows 8.1. At first glance everything seemed to be running fine, until I tried to start Dreamweaver.
It would show the splash screen for a second or two, get to the point of loading Business Catalyst extension (which I don’t even have), and then disappear.
Grrr, my Dreamweaver CS6 not working in Windows 10
Reading through several forum sites I did try a few things. Several sites mentioned deleting the WinFileCache<>.dat file from the C:\Users\’current user’\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CS6\en_US\Configuration folder. Sounded like reasonable advice, except that file didn’t exist.
This location also showed a CrashLogs folder, and indeed crash files were being created … but were completely empty. No help there.
I tried renaming the Configuration folder and letting Dreamweaver recreate it. No dice.
I tried logging in to Windows under a different account, still no go.
I tried changing things around in Compatibility Mode, nup.
I checked in Extensions Manager and confirmed I had no DW extensions running or installed.
I tried removing everything I could using the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool, and reinstalling while running the setup.exe as Administrator. No joy.
I was seriously considering rolling back to Windows 8 or even Windows 7, as I knew the suite was working fine under both of those environments.
Eventually I found the answer, on this Adobe forum and it was basically the same solution as to when I was having trouble sending emails from Outlook, and that is to open up command prompt in Administrator mode (Windows Key + X, Command Prompt (Admin)) and run the following:
After running this, I rebooted, tried Dreamweaver, joy!
Note (3rd Feb 2016): As one commenter pointed out, similar symptoms could be seen but with a considerable different resolution, and was basically to do with the Dreamweaver Workspace in use, and further information on it can be found here.
I hope this helps someone who is finding themselves in a similar situation.